From: John Robinson <jbr100uk@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] Cannot get Speakup to work on Gentoo 10.1 Live DVD
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 22:28:10
1 Hi everyone. I've just downloaded the Gentoo 10.1 live DVD, but
2 cannot get Speakup to work after booting into it. I have an Intel
3 Dualcore PC and have tried booting the Gentoo and Gentoo64 kernels
4 from the DVD. Speakup doesn't seem to work on either of them. I have
5 a Dectalk USB synthesizer which I have tried using in RS232 mode like
6 a Dectalk Express. At the DVD's boot prompt, I type the following:
7 gentoo speakup.synth=dectlk nox
8 I heard nothing from my Dectalk USB, but a sighted companion told me
9 that the system booted to a command prompt, but produced the error
10 "Fatal: speakup_dectlk not found" in the process.
11 I also tried booting with software speech and typed the following at
12 the DVD's boot prompt:
13 gentoo speakup.synth=soft nox
14 I heard no speech and my sighted companion informed me that the system
15 had again booted to a command prompt, but had produced the error
16 "Fatal: speakup_soft not found" during the boot process.
17 At the command prompt, I tried to see if Espeak was working by typing:
18 espeak "Hello. This is a test"
19 I heard nothing and unfortunately had no sighted help at that point so
20 don't know if an error message appeared.
21 At the very least, I would like to be able to use Speakup with my
22 Dectalk USB when booting the Gentoo 10.1 live DVD. If you have any
23 advice as to why the speakup_dectlk module is not being loaded and
24 what I can do to cause it to load when booting the DVD, I'd be very
25 grateful to hear from you.
26 Regards,
27 John