From: Robert Grieve <sonofthejedi@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] speakup on gentoo
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 06:37:51
On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 23:41 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:

> Speechd-up is still the way to link software speech to speakup. > Just do an emerge speechd-up to install the packages. The default > synthesizer is espeak, and it and speech dispatcher will be installed as > dependencies of speechd-up. Once you have everything emerged, add > speech-dispatcher and speechd-up to your default runlevel. > > Yes, the files that were in /proc/speakup have been moved to > /sys/module/speakup/parameters.
In order to get this working with the new system I had to do a little hacking in /etc/init.d/speechdup. Specifically at top level SPEAKUPDIR=/sys/module/speakup/parameters # Not /proc/speakup and in load_speakup() echo soft > ${SPEAKUPDIR}/synth #which used to read echo sftsyn I have no idea how, but people who want this to work for kernels
>=gentoo-sources-2.6.25-r1 need these in /etc/init.d/speechd-up,
and people who want the pre 2.6.25 need the way it is as of this morning Which had the following at the top if it helps. $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/app-accessibility/speechd-up/files/speechd-up.rc,v 1.6 2007/05/30 04:05:27 williamh Exp $ Hope this is more helpful than annoying. Best, Robert