From: "S. Lockwood-Childs" <wormo@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] Seeking advice on accessibility for low-mobility user
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 19:27:05
1 I know a skilled programmer/cryptologist who can no longer use a
2 keyboard. He has an EyeGaze system (http://www.eyegaze.com/)
3 but apparently the software that comes with it kind of stinks so
4 he's getting very frustrated. The method of using EyeGaze to control a
5 Windows PC via a serial port is supposedly based on a documented
6 standard, so I think setting it up to control a Linux PC should be doable.
7
8 I'm a complete novice in the topic of accessibility, so any
9 advice that applies to handling low mobility with Free Software
10 would be much appreciated.
11
12 Some specific questions I've turned up so far:
13
14 * Anyone have experience with dasher?
15 Can you configure dasher to handle the whole desktop, including menus?
16 If so, does that require everything be a gnome app to work properly?
17
18 * Does Linux have any support for the standard called GIDEI, short for
19 General Input Device Emulating Interface? (This is what EyeGaze uses
20 for Windows control)
21 http://www.eyegaze.com/content/skeys-program
22 http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/gidei/gidei.htm