From: David Mehler <dave.mehler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] setting up orca on gnome on gentoo
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:52:32
1 Hello,
2 I'm trying to get orca going on gentoo. The gnome version used is
3 2.26. I've tried googling and asking on the orca mailing list, without
4 success.
5 I installed gentoo following the handbook except used a serial
6 terminal, this is in a virtual machine as i unfortunately only have
7 one machine. Later i proceeded to install gnome, which failed. Before
8 the install would complete successfully libxml2 needed to be
9 installed. I next installed orca and started up gnome. I had to make
10 some changes to custom.conf so i could log in and loaded the
11 accessibility modules per instructions on the orca site. When i tried
12 to start orca via either the alt+f2, orca or in a terminal with orca
13 --text-setup i get to the second screen where i'm prompted for the
14 speech server always i choose gnome speech and then i hear no more
15 speech. I've also installed the java-access-bridge, but am assuming
16 there's a configuration step i'm missing.
17 Any suggestions appreciated.
18 Thanks.
19 Dave.