From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] About to try an installation...blind.
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 17:34:49
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Hi Michael,
5
6 Installing from another o/s is how I originally installed gentoo. That
7 should work fine. There is no installer program for gentoo, so if you
8 are using debian, for example, you are running your debian o/s until you
9 reboot at the end and go into gentoo.
10
11 For modern kernels, (newer than 2.6.26), you do not patch the kernel to
12 install speakup. Right after you configure and install the gentoo
13 kernel, add the following steps while in the croot:
14
15 emerge speakup
16
17 Then, you have to edit /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and put the
18 name of the speakup module you want to load in there on a blank line,
19 such as:
20
21 speakup_ltlk
22
23 If you are not comfortable with installing from another o/s, you can use
24 our 2007.0 minimal cd. That is the latest cd we have right now that
25 has speakup included.
26
27 If you do have a second pc and can ssh into the box, it is possible to
28 do an install with our current minimal cd as follows:
29
30 When you get to the boot prompt, type the following:
31
32 gentoo dosshd passwd=something
33
34 That will boot the cd, start sshd and set the root password.
35
36 Now, figure out the ip address and ssh to that box from the other
37 machine and do the install that way, also do not forget to emerge
38 speakup and set the module while you are in the croot after installing
39 the kernel.
40
41 Let me know if you have any more questions.