From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] No software speech in the last ISO
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 01:53:24
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:10:15AM -0700, Cleverson wrote:
4 > I recall that I must enable the alsa and portaudio use flags, then emerge espeakup, then load the speakup_soft module and enable the espeakup service, all this to have Gentoo speaking after boot. Is it still right?
5
6 This should still work.
7
8 > Also, does anyone know if speechd-up still works in Gentoo with the current speech-dispatcher 0.7.1, and what are the steps to get it running on boot instead of espeakup?
9
10 speechd-up is currently broken unfortunately, and
11 speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 is not set up to run as a system service.
12
13 I am working, among other things, on fixing speechd-up. I'm also on the
14 speech-dispatcher dev team, and I can tell you that running as a system
15 service will be back for 0.8, but you may not need that if I get the
16 fixes I want into speechd-up before that.
17
18 Another project I am working on is speakup, which will, hopefully, be a
19 part of the staging drivers in the official linux kernel starting with
20 2.6.37-rc1.
21
22 From the way you are describing the issues you are having with the
23 live cd, it sounds like your sound card channels are muted.
24
25 Do you know which channels need to be unmuted for your card?
26
27 William