From: Robyn Dawn Hannigan <sonofthejedi@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] rfc: Accessibility on our release media
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 02:58:16
Hubbs wrote:
> Part of the difference you are seeing, I think, is that when we install > packages, everything is installed -- the documentation, header files, > libraries and executibles. I don't know whether releng deletes parts of > packages they don't need (such as header files or the material in > /usr/share/doc), but if they do that would bring the size down.
Hubbs, they can remove whole directories, they routinely remove man pages etc, they can add files to a list to remove if they have any ones in weird locations. If you're interested take a look at the old Catalyst 2.x manual i mentioned. Perhaps if we can demonstrate WE CAN MAKE IT OURSELVES releng will sit up and take notice and do it once we have done the leg-work. i will help if there is interest. HTH, Robyn