From: John Robinson <jbr100uk@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] Alsa isn't working for me on the latest Gentoo AMD64 live DVD
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:12:27
1 Hi everyone. Following the messages on this list requesting more
2 testers for the latest Gentoo live DVD, I recently downloaded the most
3 recent Gentoo AMD64 live DVD and have been experimenting with it. When
4 booting into the DVD, Speakup works very well with my Dectalk USB used
5 like a Dectalk Express, but Alsa doesn't load at all, so I currently
6 have no way of using the live DVD with software speech, as I had
7 originally hoped. I haven't copied down the exact messages, but the
8 errors basically are that none of the Alsa modules such as SND-HDA-INTEL
9 required for my system can be inserted due to disagreement about their
10 versions. I booted the DVD with the following command:
11
12 gentoo speakup.synth=dectlk nox
13
14 I should point out that, even when I specified nox, the X-server still
15 started. If anyone needs any more information about my system to
16 identify what is causing these problems, please let me know. If anyone
17 has any advice as to how I may get Alsa to load properly when I boot the
18 DVD, I'd be very grateful to hear from you! I should mention that, even
19 when I type /etc/init.d/asound restart at the Live DVD prompt, I get
20 just the same errors as I did when booting the DVD.
21
22 Many thanks,
23
24 John Robinson