From: John Robinson <jbr100uk@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] Difficulty using the Java Access Bridge with Sun-jdk and Orca
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 18:51:30
1 Hi everyone. I've just installed Sun-jdk-1.6.0.15, Orca-2.26.3 and
2 Java-access-bridge-1.6.0, all installed with Portage inside a Gnome
3 terminal. I know there is a page of instructions about how to build and
4 install the Java Access Bridge on the Orca website at
5 http://live.gnome.org/Orca, but I assumed the Gentoo ebuild of Java
6 Access Bridge would do all this for me. When I thought I'd installed
7 everything correctly, I went to the demo folder of the Sun-jdk and typed
8 'java -jar Notepad.jar'. orca said that the Java Access bridge was
9 being loaded and then that the application was being registered. Orca
10 promptly cut out and when I pressed Alt and Tab to get to where I
11 thought the Notepad Java application would be, Orca said 'Notepad
12 Inaccessible'. When I alt-tabbed back to the terminal window from where
13 I'd started the Java Notepad, the screen was full of messages which had
14 apparently been produced by the Java program as it tried to launch
15 Notepad. Unfortunately, I can find no way of capturing these, so any
16 help with this would be appreciated. For some reason or other, although
17 it appears to be correctly installed, my Java Access Bridge is not
18 working with Orca and I have no idea why this is. I have an AMD64
19 system which runs Java in 64-bit mode only. The Orca page about Java
20 Access Bridge mentions that you need a file called something like
21 libjava-access-bridge.so which I do not appear to have. Could this be
22 the cause of my problem.
23
24 Many thanks for any help.
25