From: Zachary Kline <Z_kline@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] some Reports and Introducing myself
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:53:38
Howdy,
Just a note to congratulate you on getting the Gentoo installation up and
running.  I have had a similar system up for a couple of weeks now, and am
glad to report that it isn't behaving eratically or causing trouble.
I might also be able to shed some light on the Speakup from CVS issue.  The
Gentoo-sources kernel I have, 2.6.20-r2, seems to take CVS from late October
of last year.  I don't think that's necesarily the most current version, but
have no way of being sure.  I wouldn't advise taking that kernel and
patching the latest Speakup CVS into it: that might cause trouble.
Gentoo does offer a Vanilla kernel, though there are some caviots about
support and security updates.  In any case, that is probably what you'd want
if you wished to patch speakup into the thing yourself.  I haven't ever had
a need to do this.
Hope this helps,
Zack.