From: Zachary Kline <zkline@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] Software Synthesizer
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 02:52:26
Hi,
	I'm in the unfortunate position of being a potential new Gentoo
user who happens to also be blind.
I know that the default kernel for installation comes with Speakup, but
it doesn't come with any compiled software synthesizer, unless I'm very
much mistaken.
My next natural recourse is to try and get speech through the
installation via SSH.  But I'm not sure whether my machine is even fully
detected, let alone how the SSHD startup process would be done.  I'm in
the position of wanting to type as few commands without speech as
possible.  (While I trust my typing ability, it's a little difficult to
be sure if everything will work.)
What I'm wondering is whether anybody might have some advice for me on
how to proceed?  Is there a way to get software speech at installation?
If so, how?  If not, what should be done?
(I would be able to SSH into the machine from a laptop with speech, if
SSHD would start.)
Thanks,
Zack.