From: James Homuth <james@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-accessibility] About to try an installation...blind.
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 17:10:39
1 I can't tell you if the live CD has orca available, but I've heard
2 semi-positive things about doing an instalation over SSH if you happen to
3 have that option available to you. I haven't tried it myself, mind you, but
4 that might be one thing to consider. Perhaps if it ends up working for you I
5 might be persuaded to give it a try on one of my machines.
6
7 -----Original Message-----
8 From: Gaijin [mailto:gaijin@×××××××××.net]
9 Sent: May 27, 2009 6:18 AM
10 To: Gentoo Accessibility Mailing List
11 Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] About to try an installation...blind.
12
13 Hello all,
14
15 I'm unfortunately running Debian Lenny, and all their software is up
16 to two years behind where accessibility and hardware support is concerned.
17 I'm trying to find a good method for installing Gentoo, but am having
18 problems finding documentation on whether Gentoo supports either SpeakUP or
19 Jupiter screen readers, or if the Live! CD has Orca available. I've
20 downloaded and burned the minimal installation disk and am still looking for
21 the non-torrent Live CD image, so haven't burned that one yet. I have found
22 the "Install from another OS" documentation, but am not sure if my screen
23 reader (SpeakUP) will continue to run during the installation. I'm also
24 wondering if when I compile the kernel, how I may have to compile either
25 SpeakUP, or patch the kernel with the Jupiter screen reader. Is there a
26 howto anyone can direct me to, or is SpeakUP already supported in one of the
27 kernels on the installation disk(s)? TIA for any help,
28
29 Michael