From: Robert Grieve <sonofthejedi@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] speakup on gentoo
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 03:08:11
1 Thanks for the great new packge.
2
3 Owing to the amount of change in how this is set up,
4 I wonder if some docs need to be more actively published.
5 How much chance is there of altering the ebuild so we get some of the
6 documentation that used to live under /usr/linux/Documentation/speakup
7 under /usr/share/doc/speakup-3.X?
8
9 As far as the sftsyn situation I was asking about I have 3 further
10 questions.
11
12 To get software synthesis working, we need a synthesizer (like
13 festival,flite,or espeak), and we need a way to configure all the params
14 (like rates). 2 things used to be done for this. One was the files which
15 used to live under /proc/speakup, the other was a complex mesh of
16 synth,speech-dispatcher, synth specific configs, and speechd-up.
17
18 i) I take it speechd-up is now dead and buried? Replaced by 'start=1'
19 ii) I take it that the config files for rates etc now live in sysfs
20 somewhere.
21 iii) What services would you recommend adding to what runlevels for the
22 userspace software synth? I'm currently assuming that espeak plus
23 speech-dispatcher should about do it, and that the
24 speech-dispatcher config still has meaning. Thoughts?
25
26 Thanks much
27 Robert