From: Whitley CTR Cecil H <WhitleyCH.ctr@××××××××××××××××.mil>
To: "'gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o'" <gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-accessibility] 2004.2 problem
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 12:36:37
1 Hi Deedra,
2 >This won't help you solve your problem much, but i can tell you that
3 >speakup's software speech won't work on the livecd. Currently the livecd
4 >only supports the hardware synths, and doesn't support the internal
5 >decktalk because it requires a seperate program. I just wanted to
6 >clarify this for you. Hopefully one of the releng folks can help you
7 >sort this.
8 Yes, I realized that the livecd wouldn't support software speech. Software
9 speech is a post-install goal. That's why I used the external DecTalk
10 express for the install. I've got a different system with the internal
11 Dectalk card. I'm going to try the same steps tonight without the dectalk
12 or speech to see if the networking code works in the absence of both. If
13 so, once I get the stage 1 tarball on disk I can try applying the
14 motherboard manufacturers linux drivers for the Intel hardware. If that
15 goes well, then at least the post-install system will be usable. It will
16 also allow me to post a proposed solution along with a bug report. I just
17 don't see this as a speakup problem, although there may be some sort of
18 interaction there (unproven assumption which is probably wrong in the first
19 place).
20
21 As an alternative, I could disable the on-board ethernet and use a PCI
22 network card (i've got several laying around). I was just trying to avoid
23 popping the case. That's the main reason I was using the external USB drive
24 bay. BTW, the drive was recognized beautifully.
25
26 More to follow.
27 Thanks,
28