From: Robert Willam Grieve <sonofthejedi@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] Introducing myself, with a few short questions
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:16:42
Greetings List.

I am in the position of having 2 ones near and der to me who will
in the next years lose their sight. I also will be there at some
time if I continue in doing as much computer science hours as I
am right now :)

In the past I've tryed everything to get speech synthesis working
to it's full potential. I got wolf to teach me how to do livecd
builds, and I've done a couple, and I'm pretty close to getting
speak-up in a live cd env, but, then they pulled it from the
main kernel, so now I would like to know, are there any ways I
can continue working on this, as put the last kernel build in an
overlay, make a patch ebuild to retrieve the patches etc.

If I can solve the problem of how to get the kernel to build with
the code in again, then tht will help, as I have already got
sftsyn type working before. I also want to make a meta-package
which will pull in all bits that we need for the default sftsyn
setup, and get them all configured, so I can then say, in the
livecd emerge gentoo-sftsyn, and get a default with say, a
kernel patch, espeak, speech-dispatcher and all the services
maybe added to /etc/init.d/

Of course I'm only new here so someone will tell me I'm insane,
but any ideas of how to get this done would be huge. I will
write the ebuilds etc, just need to make sure I'm not wasteing
time in barking up a tree with no cats in it.

Then maybe after someone can tell me why is the speak-up patch
not good for the mainstream gentoo-sources, and how can we fix
it with upstream, or does it just need someone to take care of
it in gentoo-sources or what.

Sorry for length of post, hope these Q are at least sensible.

Regards and TIA,
sonofthejedi

--
Robert W. Grieve <sonofthejedi@×××××××.nz>
3rd Year, Bachelor of Information Technology