From: Whitley CTR Cecil H <WhitleyCH.ctr@××××××××××××××××.mil>
To: "'gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o'" <gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] Software speech
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:23:40
Hi,
Well, I had success over the weekend.  I ended up loading kernel
2.4.26-gentoo-r9 and using genkernel to create the initrd file.  I still
need to manually intervene while booting (insmod usb-storage, echo "scsi
add-single-device 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi, exit, /dev/sda1), but at least
it will the mount /dev/sda1 as root and continue the boot process to
completion!

What do I need to do to configure sound?  I assume that i'll need to put all
the sound modules into modules.autoload.d and run modules-update?  Do I need
to emerge a mixer and the like?  If so, what all packages will I need?  I
assume that my config is oss, since alsa wasn't a config option for the
2.4.26 kernel.  Will flite work with oss?

In summary, my question is basically where do I go from here?  After sound
is functional, I expect to
emerge flite
emerge speechd-up
Will things work properly if I then
rc-update add flite default
rc-update add speechd-up default
or is it more complex/complicated than that?  All pointers welcome!

I've found the linuxrc file and I hope to mod it so that the machine will
come up with no manual intervention.  This is particularly important since I
don't expect software speech to come up until late in the boot process, is
this correct?  In particular, is software speech available only after root
is mounted?

Regards,

Cecil Whitley