From: Robert Greive <sonofthejedi@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Introducing myself, with a few short questions
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 21:52:38
> If you use the 2007.0 live cd, speakup is included, but not > speech-dispatcher or espeak.
I think it would be an asset to the distro if we could figure out a way to get sftsyn working on the livecd. It would probably never see primetime, but if we could at least get in included in the downloadable catalyst scripts or something then people who need this can compile it up from that. Anyway. It is this end, the creation of a custom catalyst script that includes sftsyn support in a livecd, that I am trying to reach. I demo'd the system on a full install to some clients of mine here and there is intrest in getting gentoo into systems for use by housebound people with MS and ME. --aside-- I understand this will require the use of 2.6.20 sources, which the ebuilds will have to be put in an overlay so they don't disappear. This will hold true till upstream is done with their rejig. --- In order to accomplish this, some extra packages need to be added to the stock standard list, services need to be added to etc/init.d by using the appropriate catalyst conf lines, then the whole thing needs to be built. The addition of speech-dispatcher and espeak packages is not a problem. As an additional question though, what about the MASKED freebsoft-utils, which seems to be needed for sftsyn to work? The meta-package idea is a seperate issue and can be delt with later, as on reflection it is unnecessary here and probably in all events. Thanks, sonofthejedi