From: John Robinson <jbr100uk@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Gentoo AMD64 live DVD and software speech
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:55:11
1 Hi William and many thanks for your message. I tried exactly what you
2 suggested, booting into the live DVD and typing 'gentoo
3 speakup.synth=dectlk nox' at the boot prompt. My Dectalk USB started
4 speaking as it should, but after all Alsa modules were loaded, it
5 announced that no Alsa configuration was present and that I'd have to
6 unmute my card. Sorry I couldn't record the exact message. I then
7 launched Alsamixer, unmuting all channels and turning them up to full
8 volume. After pressing 'Escape' to save the settings, I played an MP3
9 file with Mplayer to ensure that my card was unmuted. This file played
10 successfully. I next typed 'espeak "Hello,this is a test."' as you
11 suggested. There was no error, but I heard no speech at all. Finally,
12 I repeated the same procedure, but output the result to a Wave file. I
13 played this successfully in Mplayer.
14
15 In conclusion, Espeak appears to be able to creat Wave files on my
16 system, but does not appear to be able to speak through Alsa, even when
17 all my sound card's channels are unmuted. I would very much appreciate
18 any advice you may have as to how to resolve this.
19
20 yours sincerely,
21
22 John Robinson