From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] rfc: Accessibility on our release media
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 20:45:14

All,

I need some opinions about accessibility on our release media.

I am requesting that we add the following to all of our release media
for amd64 and x86:

app-accessibility/espeak (with portaudio in use so it supports alsa)
app-accessibility/espeakup
app-accessibility/speakup
[alsa support]

This is needed so that a blind person can independently install gentoo
linux using either hardware or software speech.

Agaffney is stating that he doesn't want to add this support to the
minimal cd because it will increase the size of the cd and it is not
required to do an install.  He is willing to put it on the live cd.  I
think it should go there as well as go on the minimal.  I'm not
comfortable, however, with it just going on the live cd since the live
cds are not built near as often as the minimal cds.

I understand his point about keeping the minimal cd small, but I
disagree about the software not being required to do an install.  If a
blind person wants to install gentoo from a minimal cd, the software is
a requirement, not an extra feature that would be nice to have.

My question for the group is, how do you feel about speech software
being on our minimal cd as well as our live cd?

Thanks,

- --
William Hubbs
gentoo accessibility team lead