From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <TheMan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-admin] LDAP? SSH? How to logon to network?
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 01:13:13
1 My school uses Macs. They run Mac OS X Server. At each computer in the
2 computer lab, each student is able to logon using their username and
3 password to their "own desktop" because each computer is authenticated
4 remotely and their home folder is a remote mount. All programs run
5 locally.
6
7 At studentserver.myschool.org, they run an appletalk file share
8 server, perhaps another sort of file sharing server, and an ssh
9 server, all of which I can logon to using my username. At
10 queenbee.myschool.org, the school runs an ldap server which is used
11 for authentication on each of the computer lab computers. Logged in as
12 administrator, I looked at the directory services program to obtain
13 ldap information. They connect to the queenbee server and use the base
14 of dn=..... Also part of this string is cn=config and it is setup to
15 get all details "from server". All user name entries have the normal
16 objectType=posixAccount in addition to some unique apple attributes.
17
18 One of the attributes is homeFolder. For me, this is located at
19 /Network/studentserver.myschool.org/Volumes/Hive/myUserName. Logged
20 onto my account using a mac, in addition to my home folder being
21 present as I have all my settings unique to me, I can type cd ~ in
22 terminal and get my homefolder, which is mapped to this path. I can
23 also cd /Network/studentserver.myschool.org and peak around. My
24 authentication to this server is based on my username and the group
25 that I'm in (which was authenticated by ldap before), so it is safe to
26 conclude that studentserver.myschool.org also logs into this ldap
27 server and authenticates me using normal credentials.
28
29 I installed Linux on one of the G5 towers. How can I set the computer
30 up such that users are able to login to it using their username and
31 password and have their home folder be their server share? OpenLDAP?
32 SSH? AFP? I have tried openldap and I have been unable to get that to
33 work (ldapsearch -x 'uid=myusername' works but I can't get system wide
34 authentication working).
35
36 If I did get OpenLDAP to work, what about the home folder? The
37 homeFolder attribute ldap mentions refers to a specific place already
38 existant on the mac computer (/Networks/studentserver.myschool.org),
39 so perhaps the equivalant would be to have
40 /Networks/studentserver.myschool.org in /etc/fstab and mounted.
41
42 The next question, however, is how can I have this mount like a normal
43 device directory which uses normal authentication? I have tried
44 specifying nfs as a fs type, but this does not work. Perhaps I can
45 utilize the existance of an ssh server running? What about afp? But
46 then I have to be careful that it uses the normal system wide
47 authentication mechanism (that authenicates my access to local
48 folders, for instance) and not a logon of its own.
49
50 And on top of that, even after getting OpenLDAP to authenticate system
51 wide, how will it know to make the homefolder based on the homeFolder
52 attribute?
53
54 Or perhaps there's another way to do this, completely through ssh, but
55 that's doubtful. Any ideas?
58 Jason A. Donenfeld
59 Deep Space Explorer
62 gentoo-admin@g.o mailing list