From: "J.A.H." <heblack@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o, gentoo-users@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-admin] system audit
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 02:46:00
1 Hi --- Is there a way to print all of the installed programs by
2 category. I would like to know what development libraries and tools are
3 installed and also what is installed that I never use.
4
5 Basically I want to remove everything not in use so that another upgrade
6 will take less time. Once I remove a program, library, or something
7 else, how will I know that there will be no affected dependencies.
8
9 Also is there something which will reveal that an executable or library
10 has never been used or infrequently used.
11
12 I have not installed many packages outside the portage sandbox. Most
13 packages that were installed outside portage were installed in a
14 non-portage area within usr.
15
17
18 Note: Why are there administration, laptop, and server related posts at
19 gentoo-user and less at gentoo-admin or the other ones? The amount of
20 emails at gentoo-user is too high volume IMO.
21
22 Why not remove gentoo-user and instead add more lists like
23 gentoo-install, or whatever else. The gentoo-user list is misleading
24 since every user using gentoo is a user. It should be removed instead.

Untitled.gif image/gif