From: "Ciaravino
To: 'Denis Shcherbakov' <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>, gentoo-admin@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-admin] confine process on SMP system
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 23:51:34
1 You can probably turn off hyperthreading in the BIOS
2 (which would reduce your 4 virtual processors to two real)
3
4 What kernel are you using?
5 See gentoo bugzilla bug 11095 (and vote for it!!!)
6
7 Hope this helps,
8
9 odiT
10
11 -----Original Message-----
12 From: Denis Shcherbakov [mailto:deniss@×××××××××.EDU]
13 Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 5:50 PM
14 To: gentoo-admin@g.o
15 Subject: [gentoo-admin] confine process on SMP system
19 Hello,
20
21 Can someone tell me if it's possible to assign a certain task to a certain
22 processor and keep it there (lock it)?
23
24 There is a C++ code that runs on my dual processor system (with
25 hyperthreading). 4 processors are seen by Linux. When one instance of
26 the code runs, everything is fine. When 2 instances, it is also ok. But
27 when 3 or 4 instances of the code run simultaneously, they crash my
28 machine. I think this is a scheduling issue. I have seen these processes
29 jump to a different processor in the midst of execution. This could be a
30 problem, if two processes collide.
31
32 What do you think is the best way to deal with such an issue? I only have
33 this happen with the C++ code. When I ran 4 simultaneous instances of C
34 code for 7 hours, the system remained stable.
35
36 Thanks in advance!
37 Denis
41 gentoo-admin@g.o mailing list