From: Denis Shcherbakov <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-admin@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-admin] confine process on SMP system
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 22:53:11
1 Hello,
2
3 Can someone tell me if it's possible to assign a certain task to a certain
4 processor and keep it there (lock it)?
5
6 There is a C++ code that runs on my dual processor system (with
7 hyperthreading). 4 processors are seen by Linux. When one instance of
8 the code runs, everything is fine. When 2 instances, it is also ok. But
9 when 3 or 4 instances of the code run simultaneously, they crash my
10 machine. I think this is a scheduling issue. I have seen these processes
11 jump to a different processor in the midst of execution. This could be a
12 problem, if two processes collide.
13
14 What do you think is the best way to deal with such an issue? I only have
15 this happen with the C++ code. When I ran 4 simultaneous instances of C
16 code for 7 hours, the system remained stable.
17
18 Thanks in advance!
19 Denis
23 gentoo-admin@g.o mailing list