From: Ralph Seichter <gentoo-ml@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] How to satisfy Portage dependencies with dummy packages (or other methods)?
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:22:02
Georgi Georgiev wrote:

 > Now try to read my previous... well... wanna-be-an-answer  :)

I think that now I understand what you tried to tell me. ;-)

   # /etc/portage/profile/package.provided (1)
   mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61

alone will not suffice, additionally

   # /etc/portage/profile/virtuals (2)
   virtual/mta mail-mta/ssmtp

is required to make sure that emerge does not install any of the
other "virtual MTA" packages.

What I still don't know if the setting (1) prevents future Versions
of ssmtp, say ssmtp-2.72, from being installed. Put in other words,
are packages in package.provided ever updated by "emerge --update
--deep world"? As I wrote before I don't know if I should add them
to package.mask aswell to prevent updates, and if the absolute path
is /etc/portage/profile/package.mask or /etc/portage/package.mask?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Sincerely
Dipl. Inform. Ralph Seichter