From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@××××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-admin@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-admin] killed portage during update of perl
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:03:41
I was updating perl and I ended up with losing portage.
During perl emerge I got this message:

# Previous version is older than the current db breaking one.
Portage has merged successfully. You must restart your merge manually
if this is not the last package...

Now I have part of the new portage in /var/tmp and a not functioning
part of portage spreaded in my dirs.

emerge is gone, most of the bins are gone

I found this on a Gentoo mirror:
portage-20021217.tar.bz2

what should I do to have a working portage system again?

This is the second time I run into this problem but what was left in
the /var/tmp last time gave me enough clues to finish manually the
installation of portage bins and scripts... but it wasn't pleasant to
do it manually.

What should be the shortest path to rebuild portage system without
making use of portage (since it is gone...)?

TIA

--
Salve
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo