From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@××××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-admin@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-admin] killed portage during update of perl
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:03:41
1 I was updating perl and I ended up with losing portage.
2 During perl emerge I got this message:
3
4 # Previous version is older than the current db breaking one.
5 Portage has merged successfully. You must restart your merge manually
6 if this is not the last package...
7
8 Now I have part of the new portage in /var/tmp and a not functioning
9 part of portage spreaded in my dirs.
10
11 emerge is gone, most of the bins are gone
12
13 I found this on a Gentoo mirror:
14 portage-20021217.tar.bz2
15
16 what should I do to have a working portage system again?
17
18 This is the second time I run into this problem but what was left in
19 the /var/tmp last time gave me enough clues to finish manually the
20 installation of portage bins and scripts... but it wasn't pleasant to
21 do it manually.
22
23 What should be the shortest path to rebuild portage system without
24 making use of portage (since it is gone...)?
25
26 TIA
30 Salve
31 Ivan Sergio Borgonovo