From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] Making changes to a statically build driver
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:31:38
1 > I made some changes to the e1000 kernel driver. I then
2 > recompiled the kernel without any issue. How can I tell if the change
3 > actually went through? Again, this driver has been statically built
4 > into the kernel. Is there a way to test that a change went through
5 > without have to setup a test environment?
6
7 the e1000 driver probably prints version info to dmesg that you could
8 tamper with...
9
10 also, check uname - it includes a buildversion (#1) and builddate of the
11 currently running kernel:
12 bangert@marsupilami ~ $ uname -a
13 Linux marsupilami 2.6.28-gentoo-r2 #1 SMP Tue Mar 3 17:14:06 CET 2009 i686
14 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux