From: Denis Shcherbakov <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-admin@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-admin] X11 Forwarding with SSH: $DISPLAY is empty!!
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:58:36
1 Greetings.
2
3 I need to activate X forwarding while connecting to a remote machine via
4 SSH. So, I edited the config files for ssh on this remote machine, such
5 as /etc/ssh/ssh_config and /etc/ssh/sshd_config, to set ForwardX11 to
6 yes, etc.... However, after fooling around with all these config files, I
7 still cannot get this remote machine to forward X, and I _think_ I know
8 why. It turns out that $DISPLAY is empty (unset) on that machine. From
9 what I read on other forums, $DISPLAY needs to be set on the remote
10 machine to enable any kind of X forwarding.
11
12 What do I do here? After doing "ssh -X remote.host" $DISPLAY is still
13 unset. If can set $DISPLAY manually, then when any app is trying to
14 start, it says it can't open display... blah blah blah...
15
16 I have put a similar message on gentoo-user, but none of the obvious
17 things have resolved this.
18
19 Regards,
20 Denis