From: Denis Shcherbakov <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-admin@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-admin] X11 Forwarding with SSH: $DISPLAY is empty!!
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:58:36
Greetings.

I need to activate X forwarding while connecting to a remote machine via
SSH.  So, I edited the config files for ssh on this remote machine, such
as /etc/ssh/ssh_config and /etc/ssh/sshd_config, to set ForwardX11 to
yes, etc....  However, after fooling around with all these config files, I
still cannot get this remote machine to forward X, and I _think_ I know
why.  It turns out that $DISPLAY is empty (unset) on that machine.  From
what I read on other forums, $DISPLAY needs to be set on the remote
machine to enable any kind of X forwarding.

What do I do here?  After doing "ssh -X remote.host" $DISPLAY is still
unset.  If can set $DISPLAY manually, then when any app is trying to
start, it says it can't open display... blah blah blah...

I have put a similar message on gentoo-user, but none of the obvious
things have resolved this.

Regards,
Denis