From: Maurice E Johnson <maurice.e.johnson@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] Newbie admin - help with mysql
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 23:35:38
But wouldn't an attempt to install an app dependent on mysql
        potentially succeed eroniously? What I'm trying to see - and
        education is always a good thing - is that in order to truely
        block mysql, you would need something a bit more complex than an
        entree in /etc/portage/package.provided.

        Something in addition? like:

        equery --nocolor hasuse mysql|awk '{print ">="$1}' >
        </etc/portage/package.provided|/etc/portage/package.mask>

        to avoid the consequences of basically saying that it's there
        when it isn't?

        I have read the man page, but it doesn't seem to address the
        consequenses down the road for this condition.