From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] How to satisfy Portage dependencies with dummy packages (or other methods)?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:52:11
maillog: 23/08/2005-18:32:06(+0200): Ralph Seichter types
> Georgi Georgiev wrote: > > > This, I think, is the *proper* way to work around what I consider > > to be a portage bug. > > I'm sorry, but I am too new to the concepts behind Portage to fully > understand your answer to my question. If it was an answer, that is; > I'm not sure about that. ;-)
There are multiple packages that provide similar functionality, and this is expressed by virtuals in portage. In your case, it is ssmtp and postfix that both provide the functionality of an MTA (put simply, a /usr/sbin/sendmail symlink) and they both have a "PROVIDE=virtual/mta" in their ebuild. As an example, sudo requires an MTA, but in order not to tie you down to one, it depends on virtual/mta instead of on "either ssmtp or postfix or qmail", and it is up to you, to install your favorite package that provides virtual/mta. Now try to read my previous... well... wanna-be-an-answer :) -- \/ Georgi Georgiev \/ You see but you do not observe. Sir Arthur \/ /\ chutz@×××.net /\ Conan Doyle, in "The Memoirs of Sherlock /\ \/ +81(90)2877-8845 \/ Holmes" \/ -- gentoo-admin@g.o mailing list