From: William Merlotto <wmerlotto@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] LDAP? SSH? How to logon to network?
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 15:47:06
1 Try pam-mount with samba or nfs for the home dirs..
2
3 2006/4/8, Jason A. Donenfeld <TheMan@×××××.com>:
4 >
5 > My school uses Macs. They run Mac OS X Server. At each computer in the
6 > computer lab, each student is able to logon using their username and
7 > password to their "own desktop" because each computer is authenticated
8 > remotely and their home folder is a remote mount. All programs run
9 > locally.
10 >
11 > At studentserver.myschool.org, they run an appletalk file share
12 > server, perhaps another sort of file sharing server, and an ssh
13 > server, all of which I can logon to using my username. At
14 > queenbee.myschool.org, the school runs an ldap server which is used
15 > for authentication on each of the computer lab computers. Logged in as
16 > administrator, I looked at the directory services program to obtain
17 > ldap information. They connect to the queenbee server and use the base
18 > of dn=..... Also part of this string is cn=config and it is setup to
19 > get all details "from server". All user name entries have the normal
20 > objectType=posixAccount in addition to some unique apple attributes.
21 >
22 > One of the attributes is homeFolder. For me, this is located at
23 > /Network/studentserver.myschool.org/Volumes/Hive/myUserName. Logged
24 > onto my account using a mac, in addition to my home folder being
25 > present as I have all my settings unique to me, I can type cd ~ in
26 > terminal and get my homefolder, which is mapped to this path. I can
27 > also cd /Network/studentserver.myschool.org and peak around. My
28 > authentication to this server is based on my username and the group
29 > that I'm in (which was authenticated by ldap before), so it is safe to
30 > conclude that studentserver.myschool.org also logs into this ldap
31 > server and authenticates me using normal credentials.
32 >
33 > I installed Linux on one of the G5 towers. How can I set the computer
34 > up such that users are able to login to it using their username and
35 > password and have their home folder be their server share? OpenLDAP?
36 > SSH? AFP? I have tried openldap and I have been unable to get that to
37 > work (ldapsearch -x 'uid=myusername' works but I can't get system wide
38 > authentication working).
39 >
40 > If I did get OpenLDAP to work, what about the home folder? The
41 > homeFolder attribute ldap mentions refers to a specific place already
42 > existant on the mac computer (/Networks/studentserver.myschool.org),
43 > so perhaps the equivalant would be to have
44 > /Networks/studentserver.myschool.org in /etc/fstab and mounted.
45 >
46 > The next question, however, is how can I have this mount like a normal
47 > device directory which uses normal authentication? I have tried
48 > specifying nfs as a fs type, but this does not work. Perhaps I can
49 > utilize the existance of an ssh server running? What about afp? But
50 > then I have to be careful that it uses the normal system wide
51 > authentication mechanism (that authenicates my access to local
52 > folders, for instance) and not a logon of its own.
53 >
54 > And on top of that, even after getting OpenLDAP to authenticate system
55 > wide, how will it know to make the homefolder based on the homeFolder
56 > attribute?
57 >
58 > Or perhaps there's another way to do this, completely through ssh, but
59 > that's doubtful. Any ideas?
60 >
61 > --
62 > Jason A. Donenfeld