From: Joe Rizzo <jrizzo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o, gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-admin] gentoo and portage in a large scale environment
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 02:18:49
I hope I am posting this to the correct mailing lists.  The
gentoo-servers and gentoo-admin mailing lists seem appropriate.

I am looking at deploying a large scale installation of systems running
Gentoo.  (Large scale being 200-300 systems)  Currently, I am mainly
concerned with how to handle portage and packages.

My current thinking is to have a limited portage tree that only contains
ebuilds needed by the systems.  Included in this portage tree will be
ebuilds for custom software packages.  The systems will sync off of this
custom maintained portage tree.  I would like binary packages to be
available from a central repository and not have gcc on the systems.  I
would like to avoid mounting a network file system.  Am I on the best
path?

Functionally, systems will be imaged the minimal base image via
systemimager.  After that, packages will be deployed via emerge.  The
packages will be precompiled and available.  On going, packages will be
updated and deployed via emerge.

Please provide experience or ideas on:
1)  Creating and maintaining a minimal gentoo image?
2)  Managing portage and packages for a large scale gentoo environment?

Thanks,
Joe Rizzo