From: Ralph Seichter <gentoo-ml@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] How to satisfy Portage dependencies with dummy packages (or other methods)?
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:14:28
Roman v. Gemmeren wrote:

 > If i got you right, you just need to add the package to
 > '/etc/portage/package.provided'. Check
 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Best_practice_to_ignore_an_update

I had found this in the Wiki, but as it did not seem to work as
described, I was at loss:

   # echo 'mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61' >> /etc/portage/package.provided
   # emerge --update --deep world
   Calculating world dependencies ...done!
   >>> emerge (1 of 1) mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61 to /
   [...]

If I use /etc/portage/profile/package.provided as Georgi suggested,
instead of /etc/portage/package.provided, it works. Should the Wiki
page be updated accordingly?

 > Oh.. and HI to the list!;)

Thank you, Roman. The quick responses I received have already made
me feel quite at home! :-)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Sincerely
Dipl. Inform. Ralph Seichter