From: "Martin
To: "'gentoo-admin@g.o'" <gentoo-admin@g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-admin] about gentoo and compiling
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 18:30:00
1 I don't know how long a bootstrap on an XP1800+ should take, but I think 3
2 hours is reasonable, depending on your internet connection.
3
4 As for installing other packages, that is due to your USE variable settings.
5 'X' and 'gnome' are set by default in /etc/make.profile/make.defaults. What
6 this means is that if X or gnome support is available in a package, you want
7 it turned on. Naturally, this doesn't make much sense unless X or gnome are
8 installed, so portage installs them as well.
9
10 This is why you should always run emerge with the --pretend flag first. If
11 you see some packages getting installed that you don't want, you can then
12 edit your /etc/make.conf file and disable those flags before running emerge
13 for real. In your case, adding "USE=-X -gnome" to your /etc/make.conf
14 would've prevented X and gnome from being installed.
17 -----Original Message-----
18 From: Vidok Tibor [mailto:vtibor@××××××××.hu]
19 Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 10:57 AM
20 To: gentoo-admin@g.o
21 Subject: [gentoo-admin] about gentoo and compiling
22
23 Hi all,
24
25 I have two question about gentoo:
26
27 1)
28 I read this in an install howto: The bootstrap takes about 1 hour even
29 on a fast machine... My bootsrap takes about 3 houn on Athlon
30 XP1800+ Is that good? I think it too long. It compiles mc about half a
31 day...
32
33 2)
34 I choose gentoo becouse I think I can choose, what i want to install.
35 If I install mc (emerge app-misc/mc ), why does it install Xserver,
36 Xfree86 etc. And for icewm why does it emerge gnome stuffs?
37 How can I owerride it?
38 I have a "new, just installed" system, with mc and icewm. it is about
39 1Gb. Why?
40
41 Thanks.
46 gentoo-admin@g.o mailing list