From: Ralph Seichter <gentoo-ml@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] How to satisfy Portage dependencies with dummy packages (or other methods)?
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:14:19
Georgi Georgiev wrote:

 > echo 'mail-mta/postfix-2.2.4' >>
 >   /etc/portage/profile/package.provided

I have tried this, but ssmtp still gets installed:

   # mkdir /etc/portage/profile
   # echo 'mail-mta/postfix-2.2.4' >>
       /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
   # emerge --update --deep world
   Calculating world dependencies ...done!
   >>> emerge (1 of 1) mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61 to /
   [...]

However, adding "mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61" to package.provided seems to
do the trick. Thank you, Georgi! Will this prevent future ssmtp
versions from being installed, or should I add it to package.mask
aswell? If so, would that be /etc/portage/profile/package.mask or
/etc/portage/package.mask?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Sincerely
Dipl. Inform. Ralph Seichter