From: Marc Giger <gigerstyle@×××.ch>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Cc: "Donsbach, Jeff" <jeff.donsbach@××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] LiveCD refuses to boot on Takara
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:25:14
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:27:17 -0500
4 "Donsbach, Jeff" <jeff.donsbach@××.com> wrote:
5
6 > Hi all,
7 >
8 > Time to come out of the closet so to speak. I've been fiddling with
9
10 :-)
11
12 > Gentoo on my XLT (XL366).
13 > I was having some moderate success with the 1.4rc1 stage1 but it
14 > encountered some build errors along the way. Q: Is there a log file
15 > where all the output of "emerge sync" goes?
16 AFAIK not. Why not redirect the ouptut?
19 > So, then I poked around and saw that the 1.4 experimental stages were
20 > a bit newer, so, I decided to try those. I didn't get as far. I also
21 > got the "FATAL: kernel too old" error when I tried to do a "chroot" .
22 > Oh by the way, I am currently running RH 6.2 with a 2.2.19 kernel
23 > (yes, old I know).
24 >
25 > So, it would seem there is something incompatible with the
26 > Stage1/LiveCD and a running 2.2 kernel.
27 > What would folks recommend using for a kernel to boot from instead?
28 2.4.x. The LiveCD's boots from a 2.4 kernel.
31 > I had one other problem with the 1.4rc1 install in that I couldn't do
32 > a"mount --bind" . It said the operation wasn't supported by the kernel
33 > (or something to that effect). How important is that? I just skipped
34 > it.
35 mount -o bind doesn't work with a 2.2 kernel.
36
37 Why don't you boot from the LiveCD? Problems too?
38
39 greets
40
41 Marc