From: Scott Seekamp <sseekamp@×××.net>
To: gentoo-alpha@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] hardware raid
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:29:58
I wouldn't say  it's useless  -  you can boot to the RAID array but only as
individual drives. Then you can LVM the rest of the drives together into a
semi-software RAID configuration if you like. I have heard rumors of people
getting it to boot from a real array but all I have read says it won't work.
the SRM console sees a bunch of drives and tries to boot from one of them.

This is my solution which may or may not work in your situation. I bought a
stand-alone 9GB SCSI drive brand new for $19 online - that is my boot drive.
Then I put my Mylex card in a windows box and created the array witth the Dos
tools. Moved card back to Alpha and set up under linux. Everything is good.

Scott