From: Matt Turner <mattst88@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Cc: "X.Org Devel List" <xorg-devel@×××××××××××××××××.org>, debian-alpha@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Need X testers on Alpha. I think we've got it this time.
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:52:47
The easiest/best way is to first install layman (emerge layman) and with it add the 'x11' overlay. See here for instructions wrt layman: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Overlay#Layman Unmask/keyword =x11-base/xorg-server-9999 and its dependencies. (You might want to use app-portage/autounmask to make this a more automated task.) Copy the xorg-server-9999.ebuild from your layman overlay to your local overlay (/usr/local/portage/x11-base/xorg-server/). Edit the file and change this line: EGIT_REPO_URI="git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xserver" to EGIT_REPO_URI="git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~mattst88/xserver" In the folder where this new ebuild exists, run `ebuild xorg-server-9999.ebuild digest` At this point you should run `emerge =x11-base/xorg-server-9999` and sit back and wait. When this has finished, emerge whatever X11 drivers you need (xf86-input-evdev, xf86-video-{ati,glint}) and do some testing. I don't know what your level of proficiency with Gentoo is, but if it's not high then this process will sound hard--trust me, it's really not. The alternative would be much more complicated. Thanks, Matt