From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] DAC960 partitioning during install?
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:21:13
On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:08:49AM -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
> Jay Maynard wrote: [Fri Feb 06 2004, 03:39:19AM EST] > > I was able to get there by defining both DOS partitions and BSD disklabels, > > with identical layouts. > I'd be curious to see this. Would you post the partition tables?
cdimage root # fdisk /dev/sda This disk has both DOS and BSD magic. Give the 'b' command to go to BSD mode. Command (m for help): p Disk /dev/sda: 4290 MB, 4290600960 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 521 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sda1 3 34 257040 82 Linux swap /dev/sda2 35 521 3911827+ 83 Linux Command (m for help): b BSD disklabel command (m for help): p 3 partitions: # start end size fstype [fsize bsize cpg] a: 3 34 32 swap b: 35 521 487 ext2 c: 1 521 521 unused 0 0 BSD disklabel command (m for help): q cdimage root # The same trick works for /dev/rd/disc0/disc, for the DAC960. I don't know how far this can be pushed, but I suspect that it will work as long as partitions can be defined in the DOS table with the same dimensions as the partitions in the BSD disklabel. I don't think they have to be in the same order,, and I think that partitions in an extended DOS partition can be defined to match partitions in the BSD disklabel. I haven't played with any of this, however. It's only necessary until the system is installed far enough to be booted off of the target disk. I suspect, but haven't verified, that writing aboot to the drive will overlay the DOS partition table, and so the system cannot be rebooted from the LiveCD and used to work with the target disk once that has been done without redefining a DOS partition table (and, thus, clobbering aboot). -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list