From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Problems running bootstrap.sh
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 04:05:14
Rikard Johnels wrote:	[Sat Jul 31 2004, 01:21:39PM EDT]
> I did "tar xjpUvf portage-rescue-2.0.49-r3-alpha.tbz2 -C /" as described in > the README-RESCUE file
Ouch, we should really make a newer portage-rescue for alpha, based on 2.0.50.
> The foillowing trash occurs after the patched portage > > Gentoo files # emerge sync > > <snip (lots of lines)> > > x11-wm/fluxbox/files/ > xfce-extra/ > rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1977189 bytes read so far) > rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)
As Kloeri said, bad rsync version
> Gentoo files # emerge portage > portage: Update type "slotmove" not recognized. > portage: Update type "slotmove" not recognized. > portage: Update type "slotmove" not recognized. > portage: Update type "slotmove" not recognized. > portage: Update type "slotmove" not recognized. > portage: Update type "slotmove" not recognized. > portage: Update type "slotmove" not recognized.
This is because the version of portage in the rescue tarball is too old.
> Calculating dependencies -Traceback (most recent call last): > ...
The crash probably occurred because the tree was only partly rsync'd, but I'm not sure.
> So what now?
I don't know the easiest way out. I would probably build a better rsync on either another machine or this one if you can make it work (perhaps using emerge with --nodeps). Then try to get the tree to sync. Alternatively you could unpack stage1 into a chroot and build a newer portage there, use --buildpkg to make a package out of it, then untar that into your root partition. Self-baked portage rescue... Regards, Aron -- Aron Griffis Gentoo Linux Developer