From: "Jose Luis Rivero (YosWinK)" <yoswink@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] The end of compaq java. Current Gentoo/Alpha java situation.
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:05:43
Dear alpha crew:

After the last modification to our Gentoo/Java virtual system (bug
#138747) , the completely disappeared upstream support (from years ago),
the  problems and bugs related to compaq jdk/jre ebuilds (see bugs:
#84306, #110611, etc) and the fact of a 1.3 vm is quite obsolete
nowadays, the Gentoo/Alpha port have decided to drop the support (hard
masking ATM) for compaq-jre,compaq-jdk.

This means we currently haven't got a full working java (==
virtual/{jre,jdk} provider) for the alpha arch.

Not all is lost, since other ways are open to get a valid and working
java environment for alpha. Kaffe and Sablevm seem to be the best
choices now:

  - Kaffe: testing tinderbox [1] is running (thanks to tcort).
  - SableVm: tcort and myself were testing it some time ago and last
results seems to be pretty good. Ebuilds are in the tree (just the
virtual machine) and in gentooexperimental[2].

If someone wants to hack a bit on this issue, setting up an overlay and
start working on it could be the best way and we'll be pleased to know
the results.

Wkr,

--
Jose Luis Rivero [yoswink@g.o]