From: Jeff Donsbach <jeff_donsbach@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] compressed kernel file format?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 03:36:16
Ok, I'm sure I'm suffering user brain damage, so help
cure me.

I'm trying to boot my XL 366 (a MILO only machine).
I've got a 2.6 kernel built and I'm trying to boot it
without much success. When I go to boot it, MILO is
telling me "invalid compressed file" (or something
like that; it's not in front of me at the moment)

I followed the instruction in the current Gentoo
Handbook (Alpha edition), which says to do a "make &&
make modules_install" (after a "make menuconfig" of
course). Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used
to be something like "make bzimage" on Alpha? Is the
handbook wrong?

What am I doing wrong? (I'm sure it's something dumb)

Thanks,
Jeff D