From: Andrew Gaylard <ag@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] alpha newbie question
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:41:09
kloeri@g.o wrote:

>That should work fine using a hardware raid controller. If using >software raid I'd recommend against using raid on /. Even if you can >apply some hackish solution to make it boot the bootloader won't >understand software raid so it can only be a hack. / isn't worth all >that trouble in my opinion as it can easily be rebuilt if needed. > >
Surely, all the bootloader needs to know about is /boot? On my alpha I had no end of trouble trying to use XFS for /, until I realised that the bootloader only understood ext2. The solution was to make a separate ext2 partition for /boot, put the kernels there. In this way, the bootloader can find the kernels and load them, and the kernels know how to mount / as type XFS. Surely similar reasoning applies to software RAID? (I haven't tried it, but I am very curious to know...) Now an unrelated question: can I add IDE disks to my 433au (Miata)? If so, are there certain types that are recommended? Are there any limitations? (e.g. must I boot off SCSI disks?) Also, under Tru64, I could make bootable tape backups. Is there a way to get similar functionality in Linux? Thanks, Andrew. -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list