From: Allen Ziegenfus <listmail@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-alpha@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Trouble configuring Xfree 4.30 on ~alpha: won't return to text mode, unsupported relocation type errors
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:06:33
1 I've been working on migrating my PC164LX from RH7.1 to Gentoo, and I've
2 been having a heck of a time with configuring X. Can anybody give me a
3 hint as to what to try next?
4
5 I have a PC164LX with SRM and a Matrox Millenium II video card. I've
6 compiled everything using ~alpha packages which gives me XFree 4.30.
7 Depending on how I set up my XF86Config-4 file, I get very different
8 results. Sometimes X doesn't come up at all. Sometimes X comes up fine,
9 but then when I exit X it won't return to text mode and I'm left with an
10 unusable blank screen, forcing me to reboot. I'm also getting hundreds
11 of these messages in my XFreelogs:
12
13 Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 10
14
15 When X doesn't come up at all I usually get this message:
16
17 (II) VGA: Generic VGA driver (version 4.0) for chipsets:generic
18 (WW) VGA: No matching Device section for instance(BusID PCI:0:5:0)
19 found
20 (EE) No devices detected.
21
22 Fatal server error:
23 no screens found
24
25 I get basically the same thing whether or not I specify the mga driver.
26 Nothing will come up at all until I specify the BusID of my card in the
27 Device section. (And yet, I only have one video card.)
28
29 If I do this, I eventually get X running fine. However, when
30 I try to exit X, the monitor won't return to text mode, and I just get a
31 blank screen. Sometimes this is accompanied by all of the lights on the
32 monitor blinking on and off, sometimes not. I can then either
33 ctrl-alt-delete or ssh in to reboot. Another funny thing is that when X
34 is starting up, it first brings up the video card init screen twice.
35
36 As to the relocation error message, I saw some posts about this message
37 that recommended upgrading XFree or gcc but I'm creating a new system
38 here so I'm already using the latest. The only funny thing that's
39 happened in my installation so far is that after I got the base system
40 configured, I was looking through some portage documentation and I did a
41 emerge -u world. This upgraded some of my glibc kernel headers, and in
42 the message that scrolled by it mentioned that I should also re-emerge
43 glibc. I did this, but then later I thought maybe that that got the
44 packages out of sync. So I ran some commands that I got out of a gentoo
45 forum to basically rebuild the entire system, including the kernel. This
46 didn't change anything(although it took about 3 days to do).
47
48 I tried gentoo out before about 6 months ago and I didn't have any of
49 these problems (although I think I was using alpha ebuilds instead of
50 ~alpha).
51
52 Any ideas?
53