From: "Jose Luis Rivero (YosWinK)" <yoswink@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] 2.6 kernel on Alpha ?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:31:42
Hi mathew:

mathewt@××××××.com wrote:
  > I am able to compile and boot a UP kernel, but I continuously
> get these messages on screen during boot and later in the > system logs > > [kernel] sd 0:0:0:0: M_REJECT to send for : 1-2-3-1. > > seems to come from the SCSI SYM53C8XX_2 driver which handles the > Symbios 53c810 controller chip. I am using these settings in > the kernel config > CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_2=y > CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_DMA_ADDRESSING_MODE=0 > CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=16 > CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=16 > # CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_IOMAPPED is not set > (I tried using IOMAPPED and different DMA modes and number of TAGs > also, but the message still shows up) > > in 2.4.30, the driver version is sym-2.1.17a and it works fine > (without any of these REJECT messages), while 2.6.12.5, the > driver version is 2.2.x I believe. > > does anyone on the list know of an issue which could cause this ? > is the REJECT message a cause for concern ? (system seem to work > fine as before)
Ferdy and me are also suffering a similar problem using 53c810 controller on AS2100. On our alpha, if you try to boot the installcd using a 2.6 kernel you will see a lovely kernel dump. 2.6 kernel 53c810 driver seems to be completely broken for us, and indeed, 2.4 driver works just fine. After some investigations, i found (on red-hat alpha mailing list) they patched 2.6 53c810 in some way for the next release of AlphaCore 2.0. After unpacked the patches from red-hat kernel, I saw a lovely linux-2.6.12-ncr810-alpha.patch[1] which could be what we are looking for. If you can give it a try and report the feedback would be c00l. I'm installing a testing machine to work on this problem but still don't have time to check if it works.
> > also, I have udev, though I have not disabled/removed devfs since > I was not sure if 2.6 is ready for this HW yet
I think the problem comes from the kernel driver, udev/devfs have nothing to do with this (imho).
> > BTW, SMP kernel does not boot. the system goes into a kernel panic > along with machine check and invalid FP emulation instruction etc. > > Can 2.6 SMP work on gentoo alpha ? (or only on the newer models ?)
2.6 SMP kernels are still broken on alpha. I think there are some people mainly from red-hat trying to fix this at the moment. May be kloeri or agriffis can tell us a bit more about this issue.
> > I also see that gcc-3.4.4-r1 is marked stable. can that be used for > kernel, glibc, etc. or its only for specific packages ? (I see that > its slotted)
A stable gcc should be ready to compile everything!! you can use 3.4.4-r1 to compile all your system.
Always welcome, np -------------------------------- [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~yoswink/tmp/linux-2.6.12-ncr810-alpha.patch YosWinK @ gentoo.org Gentoo Alpha Team -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list