From: "Jose Luis Rivero (YosWinK)" <yoswink@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] 2.6 kernel on Alpha ?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:31:42
1 Hi mathew:
2
3 mathewt@××××××.com wrote:
4 > I am able to compile and boot a UP kernel, but I continuously
5 > get these messages on screen during boot and later in the
6 > system logs
7 >
8 > [kernel] sd 0:0:0:0: M_REJECT to send for : 1-2-3-1.
9 >
10 > seems to come from the SCSI SYM53C8XX_2 driver which handles the
11 > Symbios 53c810 controller chip. I am using these settings in
12 > the kernel config
13 > CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_2=y
14 > CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_DMA_ADDRESSING_MODE=0
15 > CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=16
16 > CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=16
17 > # CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_IOMAPPED is not set
18 > (I tried using IOMAPPED and different DMA modes and number of TAGs
19 > also, but the message still shows up)
20 >
21 > in 2.4.30, the driver version is sym-2.1.17a and it works fine
22 > (without any of these REJECT messages), while 2.6.12.5, the
23 > driver version is 2.2.x I believe.
24 >
25 > does anyone on the list know of an issue which could cause this ?
26 > is the REJECT message a cause for concern ? (system seem to work
27 > fine as before)
28
29 Ferdy and me are also suffering a similar problem using 53c810
30 controller on AS2100. On our alpha, if you try to boot the installcd
31 using a 2.6 kernel you will see a lovely kernel dump.
32
33 2.6 kernel 53c810 driver seems to be completely broken for us, and
34 indeed, 2.4 driver works just fine.
35
36 After some investigations, i found (on red-hat alpha mailing list) they
37 patched 2.6 53c810 in some way for the next release of AlphaCore 2.0.
38 After unpacked the patches from red-hat kernel, I saw a lovely
39 linux-2.6.12-ncr810-alpha.patch[1] which could be what we are looking
40 for. If you can give it a try and report the feedback would be c00l.
41
42 I'm installing a testing machine to work on this problem but still don't
43 have time to check if it works.
46 > also, I have udev, though I have not disabled/removed devfs since
47 > I was not sure if 2.6 is ready for this HW yet
48
49 I think the problem comes from the kernel driver, udev/devfs have
50 nothing to do with this (imho).
53 > BTW, SMP kernel does not boot. the system goes into a kernel panic
54 > along with machine check and invalid FP emulation instruction etc.
55 >
56 > Can 2.6 SMP work on gentoo alpha ? (or only on the newer models ?)
57
58 2.6 SMP kernels are still broken on alpha. I think there are some people
59 mainly from red-hat trying to fix this at the moment. May be kloeri or
60 agriffis can tell us a bit more about this issue.
63 > I also see that gcc-3.4.4-r1 is marked stable. can that be used for
64 > kernel, glibc, etc. or its only for specific packages ? (I see that
65 > its slotted)
66
67 A stable gcc should be ready to compile everything!! you can use
68 3.4.4-r1 to compile all your system.
71 > thanks for any comments, pointers or experiences that you could share
72 >
73 > thanks, Mathew
76 Always welcome, np
77