From: FIVAZ Fabien <Fabien.Fivaz@×××××.ch>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Installation on a Digital Personal Workstation 433au
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:56:44
Hi,

I'm a long time user of x86 Gentoo. Yesterday, I managed to access a Digital PWS 433au. So I decided to install Gentoo for Alpha on it, from stage 1. After about 8 hours of compiling, the system works well. I had some troubles with SRM because it auto-booted Digital UNIX. I had to disconnect SCSI disk to gain access to the SRM console (I didn't find any help about how to desactivate auto-boot). But after that, I could boot from the Live CD and install everything. The Tulip network interface driver didn't worked, so I used de4x5, which, after waiting a few minutes, worked. I had a kernel panic on IDE CD detection, so I had to disconnect the CD-ROM (I don't use it, so it does not matter). But does someone has some informations about which driver to use ? I'm now rebuilding the kernel with CMD640 support, hope this will fix the problem.

After that, I'll build xfree. My problem is that the box still has it's original TGA2 graphic card which is not supported by xfree. Can I change the graphic board with *ANY* pci card ? Or do I have to search for a Alpha-specific card ?

Thanks to the Alpha team...

Fabien