From: Marc Giger <gigerstyle@×××.ch>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Alpha status Dec 2005
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:51:18
1 Jose, thank you for this very useful document!
2
3 I don't know if comments to this document are desired, but I will do it
4 anyway...
5
6 On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 21:20:21 +0100
7 Jose Luis Rivero <yoswink@g.o> wrote:
8
9 <snip>
10
11 > Experimental java on Gentoo/Alpha
12 > ---------------------------------
13 >
14 > After some work trying to fix compaq-java (see bug #84306) we are
15 > nearly sure it is a waste of time trying to make something unsupported
16 > upstream and obsolete (provide jre/jdk-1.3) work.
17
18 Fully acke'd. I share your opinion.
21 > After some experiences with SableVM, Thomas Cort (tcort) has been
22 > playing with
23 > lastest version of this free alternative to make java work on Alpha.
24 > SableVM seems to work with basic packages so, our plan is to set up an
25 > overlay and start playing with this.
26
27 Thanks to Thomas for his work.
28 What does overlay mean? virtual/jre and virtual/jdk? That would be very
29 nice.
30 I have installed sablevm a few weeks ago and I'm running tomcat with it.
31 Seems to be working fine here.
34 > More info about Thomas' current work:
35 > - http://mediumbagel.org/java/
36 >
37 > Alpha Arch testers Project
38 > --------------------------
39
40 I'll have to look into this one...
41
42 Marc
45 > Fernando J. Pereda (ferdy) is working these days on setting up our
46 > Arch Testers project which has given very good results on other arch
47 > teams inside Gentoo (mainly amd64).
48 >
49 > For more information, you can read the overview on the amd64 arch
50 > testers' project page to see what this project is about:
51 > - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/tests/index.xml
52 >
53 > Future change on the Alpha Project Page
54 > ---------------------------------------
55 >
56 > We hope to make some changes on our official project page to keep
57 > public info
58 > well structured and a bit more updated than it is now. Also starting
59 > subproject sections with information about arch testers, SELinux and
60 > java would be good.
61 >
62 > - (current page) http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/alpha/
63 >