From: kloeri@g.o
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] alpha newbie question
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:02:20
1 On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 10:33:41PM -0500, Nick Smith wrote:
2 > i just got my first alpha box, its an alpha server 400, i have 3x9gig
3 > scsi drives in it. i was wondering if you can boot off of raid5 or
4 > even raid1? i know some of my sparc's had a problem with it, but this
5 > is new territory for me.
6 >
7 That should work fine using a hardware raid controller. If using
8 software raid I'd recommend against using raid on /. Even if you can
9 apply some hackish solution to make it boot the bootloader won't
10 understand software raid so it can only be a hack. / isn't worth all
11 that trouble in my opinion as it can easily be rebuilt if needed.
12
13 Instead, protect /home and other important data (mail, websites, ..)
14 using raid but leave the system non-raided and simple.
15
16 All this is meant as a general advice and applies to all archs, not just
17 alpha or sparc.
18
19 Hope this helps.
20