From: "Jose Luis Rivero (YosWinK)" <yoswink@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Recent Glibc breaks CPQ-Java?
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:10:51
1 Hi Brian:
2
3 Sorry for my delayed response ... i'm quite busy lately trying to finish
4 some real live (tm) issues.
5
6 > I've rebuilt my glibc 2.3.4.20041102-r1 recently and now I'm getting a
7 > strange error with java-config. (mainly I did this because the gcc
8 > version upgraded to 3.3.6 ).
9 >
10 > Can't load library "/opt/compaq-jdk-1.3.1/jre/lib/alpha/libjava.so",
11 > because /op
12 > t/compaq-jdk-1.3.1/jre/lib/alpha/libjava.so: symbol __libc_wait,
13 > version GLIBC_2
14 > .0 not defined in file libc.so.6.1 with link time reference
15 > Could not create the Java virtual machine.
16 >
17 > Any ideas?
18 >
19 First of all, i would like to clarify that java related bugs in gentoo
20 alpha aren't the first in our TODO list. This has a quite simple
21 explanation: Only java virtual machine actually in portage is
22 "java-compaq" which is not maintained upstream since 1.3.1, so try to
23 solve bugs without upstream support and without new 1.4 (or 1.5) java
24 branch could be very bad idea.
25
26 Summarizing: java bugs are always welcome (of course) but response might
27 be very slow or non-existant.
28
29 After this, I have to say that last month i was playing with java
30 trying to make things work on alpha and i found same problem with
31 __libc_wait.
32
33 I found a patch (in some alpha related malling list) that works fine for
34 me, if you want give it a look:
35
36 - 1. Download the patch
37 http://dev.gentoo.org/~yoswink/alpha/libcwait.c
38
39 - 2. Place where you want, and compile it with:
40 gcc -shared -o libcwait.so libcwait.c -fpic -O
41
42 - 3. Preload the patch writing at the beginning of /opt/compaq-jdk/bin/java
43 LD_PRELOAD=/path-to-file/libcwait.so
44 export LD_PRELOAD
45
46 I would appreciate a lot that you report the results, maybe we could
47 include it into the tree if it solves some of our problems.
48
49 I hope back to have some free time for Gentoo at the end of this month
50 to continue playing with java and trying to get 1.4 branch in alpha.
51
52 Bye and sorry again for the delay.
53
55 YosWinK @ gentoo.org