From: Brian Parkhurst <brianp@×××××××.net>
To: Alexey Chupahin <achupahi@×××××××.ru>, gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] CXX=cxx CXXFLAGS="-host -fast" emerge groff fails
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 01:37:33
Basically, I emerge the original package with -uvD (deep dependancy check)
My default CFLAGS for use with the Compaq Compiler:

(Default gcc and g++)
/etc/make.conf
CFLAGS="-mcpu=ev56 -mtune=ev56 -O3 -pipe"

I then switch to Compaq CC with:
CC=ccc
CXX=cxx
CFLAGS="-fast -tune ev56 -std1"

Note if I want even better performance I will change -tune to -arch.

-std1 means used Strict ANSI

if -std1 fails, I will try with -std (a more relaxed compiler compatibility)
man ccc to see what each does.

And if that fails I finally reset the CC and CXX environment variables back to gcc and g++ and emerge the one package that failed.

then go back to ccc compiler for the next package in the dependancy tree

BTW I started my system out with stage1-1.4-rc1
I'm currently building another at work and started at stage3-1.4 similar hardware (actually the same type of hardware).
Both systems are AlphaServer  800 5/500 ev56 systems.

Mozilla takes about 4-6 hours to build.  (1.7 emerged today at work)

alpha-omega # emerge search mozilla
Searching...
[ Results for search key : mozilla ]
[ Applications found : 6 ]

*  mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird
      Latest version available: 0.7
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 32,177 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/
      License:     MPL-1.1 NPL-1.1

*  mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-bin [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 0.7
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 9,726 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird
      License:     MPL-1.1 | NPL-1.1

*  net-www/mozilla
      Latest version available: 1.7
      Latest version installed: 1.7
      Size of downloaded files: 34,766 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.mozilla.org
      License:     MPL-1.1 NPL-1.1

*  net-www/mozilla-firefox
      Latest version available: 0.9-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 31,600 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
      License:     MPL-1.1 | NPL-1.1

*  net-www/mozilla-firefox-bin [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 0.9-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 7,953 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox
      License:     MPL-1.1 NPL-1.1

*  net-www/mozilla-launcher