From: Jeff Donsbach <jeff_donsbach@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o, right_maple_nut@××××××××.uk
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Ditching 2.4 kernel support?
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 01:35:17
1 Amos,
2 Unfortunately, it is not that simple. MILO is model specific, so unless you know what machine type you have, I might be sending you the wrong file. If you can't power it on, can you snap a picture of it? That will likely help identify it.
3
4 Cheers,
5 Jeff D
6 p.s. sorry for the delayed response too. Holidays and all.......
7
8 ----- Original Message ----
9 From: Amos H. Weatherill <right_maple_nut@××××××××.uk>
10 To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
11 Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2006 12:40:55 AM
12 Subject: RE: [gentoo-alpha] Ditching 2.4 kernel support?
13
14 Hello Mr. Donsbach.
15
16 Sorry that it took so long to get back to you. All I know about the machine
17 without digging up some RAM and turning it on is that it is one of the few
18 systems that cannot use the SRM firmware, thus I must use MILO to load a
19 kernel. If you have a floppy boot image that will work with a 2.6 kernel,
20 please post send it to my E-Mail Address or post a link and I'll download
21 it.
22
23 My E-Mail address is : right_maple_nut@××××××××.uk
24
25 Many Thanks.
26 Amos H. Weatherill
27
28 -----Original Message-----
29 From: Jeff Donsbach [mailto:jeff_donsbach@×××××.com]
30 Sent: December 17, 2006 11:09 PM
31 To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
32 Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Ditching 2.4 kernel support?
35 Which machine do you have? I have an XLT (Milo only machine) and it works
36 fine with 2.6 kernels. Admittedly, I haven't upgraded in a while. I think I
37 am running something like 2.6.14 or so.
40 ----- Original Message ----
41 From: Amos H. Weatherill <right_maple_nut@××××××××.uk>
42 To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
43 Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 3:52:18 PM
44 Subject: RE: [gentoo-alpha] Ditching 2.4 kernel support?
45
46 If you want to ditch 2.4 kernal support someone will need to modify MILO to
47 work with 2.6 series kernals. The only reason that I am not currently using
48 Gentoo on my Alpha is that I cannot get a working MILO for current
49 generation kernals. Unfortunately, I do not have the programming skills to
50 do this myself. If you or anyone else knows where I can get a MILO boot
51 floppy for a 2.6 kernal, as recent a version as possible please, would you
52 please reply to the list if appropriate or directly to me at
53 'right_maple_nut@××××××××.uk'.
54
55 Thank you in advance to all who reply. I would really like to get my Alpha
56 up and running.
57
58 Signed.
59 Amos H. Weatherill
60
61 -----Original Message-----
62 From: Bryan Østergaard [mailto:kloeri@g.o]
63 Sent: December 15, 2006 9:49 AM
64 To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
65 Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Ditching 2.4 kernel support?
68 Hi all.
69
70 2.4 kernels is generally the biggest problem when building new releases
71 and most, if not all should be able to use 2.6 kernels by now.
72 Considering that I'm currently only planning to provide 2.6 support for
73 the 2007.0 release and forward.
74
75 Please contact me if 2.6 kernels doesn't work on your alpha so we can
76 try to work out any problems in time for next release.
77
78 Regards,
79 Bryan Østergaard
80
81 PS. You can catch me on kloeri@g.o or as 'kloeri' on
82 irc.freenode.net.
83 --
84 gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list
88 gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list
94 __________________________________________________
95 Do You Yahoo!?
96 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
97 http://mail.yahoo.com
100 gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list
103 gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list
110 Do You Yahoo!?
111 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
112 http://mail.yahoo.com
115 gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list